3 tbsp. unsweetened coconut oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3/4 cup vegetable stock
3 cups coconut milk (a rich, creamy kind – not reduced fat)
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
3 cups water
1. Heat the coconut oil in a soup pot set over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and broccoli and sauté over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring. Add the garlic and continue stirring for another minute.
3. Next, add the stock and cover. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Stir in the coconut milk, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes, then add the salt and cilantro.
6. Blend until smooth using a handheld immersion blender. The soup will be very thick. Add the water and blend again.
7. Transfer the soup back to the pot and reheat gently over low heat. Serve immediately, with a lime wedge on the side for squeezing overtop.